These chocolate bites are the perfect healthy snack for January. They’re super quick to throw together and will last up to 7 days in an airtight container, meaning you won’t have to reach for processed sweets to fight any chocolate cravings. There’s no baking involved here, so these are a great way to create some healthy treats for yourself or your friends without doing anything too taxing in the kitchen. Kids will love these too!
Feel free to experiment with toppings here – I like to use desiccated coconut as the colour contrast makes them look really pretty and the coconut flavour works so well with the dark chocolate and almonds. Goji berries, chopped hazelnuts, freeze-dried raspberries or a white chocolate drizzle will all work great as toppings too.
Hazelnuts, peanuts, cashew nuts and even pecans are also great fillings. I tend to use almonds as the shape of whole almonds are the easiest to stuff the dates with, but don’t be afraid to experiment with the flavours you like.
A batch of these truffles in a nice box will make the perfect gift!
- 250g pitted dates
- 100g whole almonds
- 150g-200g good quality dark chocolate
- 1-2 teaspoons coconut oil
- Optional: 4-5 tablespoons nut butter of choice
- Topping ideas: desiccated coconut, goji berries, chopped hazelnuts, white chocolate drizzle, freeze-dried raspberries
- Using a sharp knife, carefully prise open each date and push each almond into the centre (if your dates are a little dry/hard, soak them in 100ml hot water for 15 minutes beforehand to soften).
- At this point, you can spoon in a small drizzle of nut butter alongside your almond. Pinch together the top of the date to close and set aside.
- Melt your dark chocolate over a bain marie with the coconut oil while stirring all the time. You can also do this in a microwave, but be sure to stop every 30 seconds and stir to prevent burning.
- Place some greaseproof paper on a large plate or a flat surface. Using a spoon or your fingers, dip the almond date parcels into the chocolate until the dates are covered completely. Place onto your parchment paper to set.
- Make sure to add your toppings before the chocolate fully sets!
- Leave to cool for 1-2 hours before storing in an airtight container and kept in the fridge. These will stay fresh for up to seven days.