Coconut-lovers – this recipe is for you. I absolutely love the texture of desiccated coconut, particularly with goo-ey dark chocolate! The combination of almonds, chocolate, coconut and maple syrup works so beautifully together, and your kitchen will smell amazing.
The desiccated coconut and dark chocolate topping makes this bread look really beautiful so its the perfect recipe to make if you have friends coming over for tea. I love to have it slightly warm with some vegan ice cream or with some peanut butter on top!
Happy baking x
- 2 cups ground almonds (240g)
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder (45g)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut (50g) + 2-3 tablespoons
- 3 ripe bananas
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup maple syrup/honey (80ml)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted (60ml)
- 1/4 cup almond/soya milk (60ml)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 100g good quality dark chocolate, chopped (or use dark chocolate chips)
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees celsius (170-175 degrees celsius if using a fan oven). Grease a loaf tin with some coconut oil.
- Place all of the dry ingredients apart from the desiccated coconut into a bowl and mix until the ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Mash your bananas with a fork (or use a blender) and place into a large bowl. Add the eggs, maple syrup/honey, melted coconut oil and vanilla essence and mix with a whisk to combine. Finally add in the milk.
- Add your dry ingredient mixture to your wet mixture in 2-3 parts, gently mixing after each time. Be careful not to overmix.
- Finally fold in the chopped chocolate (reserving one tablespoon for the topping) and 1/2 cup of desiccated coconut. Your mixture will be thick but still pourable.
- Pour half of the batter into your loaf tin and sprinkle 1-2 tablespoons of desiccated coconut over the mixture. Pour on the remaining batter and sprinkle the remaining chocolate on top.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 50-55 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean. Set aside until cool enough to turn out onto a wire tray.
- Leave until almost completely cool before cutting. Sprinkle some desiccated coconut over the top and enjoy every bite!