My new obsession. If you like thick, chewy cookies with just the right amount of crumble, then these are for you! The sweetness from the dates and chocolate works perfectly with the sea salt. These are an amazing treat – you won’t be able to stop at just one!
- 100g pitted dates
- 3 rounded tablespoons almond butter (I use smooth)
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil (at room temperature)
- 4-5 tablespoons of water
- Good pinch of sea salt
Cookie dough ingredients
- 75g ground almonds
- 75g brown rice flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar (alternatively just use caster sugar)
- 2-3 tablespoons almond milk
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flax seeds + 3 tablespoons water)
- 50g dark chocolate + 20g for the dark chocolate drizzle.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius (170-175 degrees Celsius if using a fan oven). Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- First, make your flax egg by mixing one tablespoon of ground flax seeds with 3 tablespoons of water. Mix lightly and set aside. Chop 50g dark chocolate into small pieces if you aren’t using chocolate chips.
- Cream the coconut oil and coconut sugar together with a spoon and add to a food processor or blender. To make the date caramel, add in the dates, nut butter and sea salt to the coconut / sugar mix. Blend until you create a delicious dark-coloured mixture with a semi-smooth caramel consistency.
- In a large bowl, sieve your brown rice flour and baking powder. Add in the ground almonds and mix to combine.
- Add the date caramel to the flour along with the flax-seed egg and mix until you reach a cookie-dough like consistency. Add in the almond milk as required, tablespoon by tablespoon. Finally, fold in the dark chocolate pieces.
- Using an ice-cream scoop or your hands, roll into balls (about the size of a golf-ball) and place on the parchment paper. Press down slightly (the thicker they are, the chewier they will be. For a crispier cookie, use the bottom of a glass to evenly press into a flat shape).
- Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until golden. Thicker cookies will take approximately 15 minutes to bake.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack until almost completely cool. Melt 20g of dark chocolate and drizzle over the top to make them look extra special.