Everybody should have a good brownie recipe up their sleeve – this one is fool-proof! Brownies are treats that work for every occasion; kid’s birthdays, match days, bake sales at the office, catch-ups with friends, or rainy days at home. The ultimate comfort food!
This recipe is really rich in protein – a delicious blend of Greek yoghurt, almonds, eggs and cacao powder. Despite being a great high-protein snack, these look and taste super indulgent. A delicious, decadent and wholesome treat at its best.
- 200g ground almonds (just under 2 cups)
- 65g cacao/cocoa powder (1/2 cup)
- 1.5 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 100g chopped walnuts*
- 200g low-fat Greek yoghurt (3/4 cup)
- 2 medium eggs
- 120ml maple syrup/honey (1/2 cup)
- 60ml coconut oil, melted (1/4 cup)
- 60ml coffee (1/4 cup)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence/extract
- Pinch of sea salt
*You can use whatever nuts/fruit you like – pecans, hazelnuts, pistachios and raspberries all work beautifully with this recipe.
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees celsius (170-175 degrees celsius if using a fan oven). Grease an 8-inch square tin with some coconut oil.
- Stir the Greek yoghurt and the bicarbonate of soda together in a bowl. The mixture will begin to fizz – this is normal! Set aside and allow the bicarbonate of soda to react with the yoghurt.
- In a separate bowl, mix the ground almonds, cacao powder and salt together.
- Add the maple syrup/honey, coffee (this really brings out the chocolate-y flavour!), melted coconut oil and vanilla to the yoghurt mixture and stir slowly. Whisk the eggs and add to the wet mixture, stirring all the time.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and mix slowly until combined. The mixture should be thick but still pourable. Finally, fold in the chopped walnuts.
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake in the centre of the oven for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the brownies comes out clean.
- Serve warm with some ice cream and raspberries/strawberries. Alternatively, they are quite perfect on their own!