Possibly the prettiest energy balls you will ever see! These are based on the recipe for my chocolate-orange pecan balls, except tailored for the coconut-lovers among us 🙂
The texture of the desiccated coconut works really well with the smoothness of the dates and nut butter. These are the perfect afternoon snack.
This recipe makes about 15 golf-ball sized balls.
- 100g pecans (3/4 cup)
- 50g oats (1/2 cup)
- 40g cacao/cocoa powder (1/4 cup)
- 50g desiccated coconut (1/2 cup)
- 120g fresh pitted dates (if you have dried dates, use c.200g and soak them in warm water for 15-20 minutes beforehand)
- 6-7 tablespoons maple syrup/honey
- 3 rounded tablespoons nut butter (runny)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Pinch of sea salt
- 75g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- Blend the oats in a blender until you reach a flour-like consistency. Place in a large bowl and set aside.
- Place the pecans in a food processor/blender and blitz until flour-like or until only very small chunks remain. Add the pecans to the oat mixture along with the cocoa powder, desiccated coconut and a pinch of salt. Mix to combine.
- Add the dates, maple syrup/honey, nut butter and coconut oil to your food processor and blend well until you reach a sticky (but very smooth) consistency.
- Add the date mixture to the oats and pecans and start to bring together with a large spoon – you can add in some more maple syrup here if necessary. The mixture should be dry enough to remain pliable to work with, but wet enough that it sticks together when compressed.
- Place some parchment paper or some tin foil on a large plate. Using your hands, compress the mixture to form balls (just smaller than golf-ball sized is perfect). Roll the mixture between your palms until the ball is smooth and evenly round.
- Place the balls on the prepared plate and refrigerate while you make the chocolate coating.
- Place the dark chocolate in a bain-marie or in a microwave, stirring intermittently until fully melted.
- Remove the balls from the fridge. Using a teaspoon, carefully pour the chocolate over the top of the balls. I like to sprinkle some desiccated coconut over the top.
- Once the chocolate has almost set, leave to cool in a fridge.